Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Old No.7 Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Welsh Kiwi's Build Thread - 275GTB (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6476)

Welshkiwi 26th May 2019 07:36

Fail of yesterday fading away - (slowly)

Hey guys, back at it today with a long day on the project.
More glassing on the back end so that is coming along, at least now can scarf the top surface and glass/fill where I need to.

Fuel filler still in work, made a bracket for it to sit on securely but it looks like it wants to sit lower when the shell is back on, so another try at that soon.

Rear boot extension glassing was finished yesterday to profile it better with the
rear of the car - Ran out of rivets during fitting but all bonded on now. Just needs a bit of tidying, more rivets and carpeting long term. the pictures show the aluminium brackets I have used to fix to the bumper (recycling at its best as this was reused material that I cut off the front bumper). Front screen top glassing finished now and the roof sits in a much better place.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c0857c00_z.jpgIMG_20190526_155640

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5bbafd91_z.jpgIMG_20190526_155634

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7c73d77d_z.jpgIMG_20190526_155625

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...06cee4ea_z.jpgIMG_20190526_155616

Egdik 26th May 2019 23:38

Nice recycling.

As time goes by one gets over the pain of failures - we all do it, but try not to repeat them . . . The overall cost is not significant or worrisome in the big picture.

Progress is a great motivator.

Welshkiwi 30th May 2019 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egdik (Post 100586)
Nice recycling.

As time goes by one gets over the pain of failures - we all do it, but try not to repeat them . . . The overall cost is not significant or worrisome in the big picture.

Progress is a great motivator.

Cheers Kidge,

This week a bit slower as I am still having issues with the positioning of the fuel filler. With the size of the tube and filler and the required bend radius I am struggling to keep it off the chassis. So I have changed tack, started the strengthening and packing/fit position of the rear shell so that gives me as much room as humanely possible to play with. I am optimistic but certainly partially frustrated!

I do have made the initial prototype of the rear brake light pod that will sit on the parcel shelf and it looks good, also today gave the green light for the manufacture of the side trims. Having them formed up by a local metal company in bright stainless and then finishing off the welding/final fabrication with a good mate of mine. Things moving though and a long weekend coming up which is raining most of the time so plenty of spare hours can be spent on it.......

Welshkiwi 11th June 2019 07:07

A quick general update, hopefully some photos at the end of the weekend as i don’t like showing “part way” mods!

I am using galv square tube and building up the back end extension support area with that and fibreglass. Nearly there. The backend needed to be approx 20mm higher so the front end looked good on the roof. Have also supported the boot extension wings with some bonded in and fibreglassed over 6mm rod. Stiffened up nicely.
As far as the fuel filler that is looking pretty good but I won’t be able to check that until the backend back on and trialled.
I have my sill trims back from production, look really good profile. My job now is to chamfer the ends, make end plates for those and weld in plus weld in the tabs/bolts to hold them on. Keeping on keeping on!

Welshkiwi 9th July 2019 10:41

Some photos soon, promise. Cert guy has given clearance today for body structure mods that I have done. So all go to get the rear finalled and on.
Am currently working on the stainless trims, welding should go on this week. Bumpers will be wrapped with vinyl chrome week after. Style 5 alloys look good with 205/65/15 rubber on them. A bit more glassing to do on the rear end and then I can flowcoat it.
Chris and Dan sending some more stuff through this week that I needed/wanted so definitely optimistic of on the road around end of sept/early oct at this rate.... can’t come too quickly!

Welshkiwi 20th July 2019 05:26

Lots of work going on

4 Attachment(s)
]Hi guys, been a cack load of work going on over the last few weeks and I am knackered!
The bits in work:
- Bumpers filled/sprayed and ready to vinyl wrap this week
- Exhaust resonators (ala the 275) in work but initial manufacture done - see pic (They will eventually be polished tips/redband and black painted as per the 275 original car - Maybe with ANSA badges) See capture pic for what trying to achieve.
- Exhaust hangers (again as per the capture pic - Fezza originals ordered from Germany on on their way) the other pic shows I have strengthened where the exhaust hangers will go - Where the rivets are behind the panel is T6-alclad aluminium plate bonded and riveted in so will have good structure to hang off.
- Alloys and rubber all sorted - 205/65/15 with ET20 offset - looks good possibly not to have to widen the track after all at back end.
- Glassing virtually finished on back end - trialling final fits tomorrow
- Blocked off rear light areas and "splash shields" manufactured from fglass and fitted.
- Flowcoat inside rear end started today.
- Sills nearly completed, end caps done on trims, getting retention bolts welding done on this weekend and trial fits hopefully next week.
- Door window seals fitted

Flickr for some reason not working so a few photos added as per below.

Cheers.

Welshkiwi 27th July 2019 06:40

Hi guys, really struggling with Flickr for some reason at the mo but after half hr managed to get some photos up. Plenty of moving going on, body ready to bond, trims finishing welding this weekend (mate got tied up on other things), bumpers being wrapped and should be ready on mon or tues.
Once trims are on sills and happy then sills final fit and body bonded on.

Exhaust well under way, waiting for hangers and some welding of brackets before final painting..... Here ya go:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...66bd08fb_z.jpgIMG_20190727_160344

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...eb54b9fd_z.jpgIMG_20190727_160330

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48384958261_4767978382_z.jpg[/img]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...67978382_z.jpgIMG_20190726_150222

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f0586670_z.jpgIMG_20190723_160846

classiccoachworks 27th July 2019 10:47

hi guys.
as of yesterday we at classiccoachworks.org are building a demo of the old no 7 275 and marketing them.
thank you to Dan for giving us the opportunity

photos will be added as we go along for a full pictorial build guide.

classiccoachworks 27th July 2019 10:49

ps kiwi.. pleeeeeease may I pop your pictures ups example when people ask how it may look. withsorry to ask! will of course credit you! lovely car by the way!

Welshkiwi 27th July 2019 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by classiccoachworks (Post 101483)
ps kiwi.. pleeeeeease may I pop your pictures ups example when people ask how it may look. withsorry to ask! will of course credit you! lovely car by the way!

All good my end, I am hoping pictures will get a lot more “wholesome” and in short time! I am putting the hard yards into some nice touches, just hope they pay off.....cheers.

classiccoachworks 27th July 2019 12:15

ah thank you kiwi. that's great.
we will also do a full stripdown and build thread, but on website, so do have a look in case we have quilt bits you need. although you're way ahead as we only picked up yesterday!
looking great already, can't wait to see finished...
what colour are you intending?
😊
belle.
classiccoachworks.org

Welshkiwi 27th July 2019 19:03

Thanks Belle,

Good luck with the 275 project, certainly good to see some movement in the development/marketing of this kit for Dan.

My colour choice is dark metallic grey. A few options looking at for final colour choices, looking at BMW Mineral grey, Carpathian grey Range Rover, silverstone grigio metallic ferrari colour and a few others as well. Time to scratch the beard and decide!

Lucky@LeMans 27th July 2019 21:03

1 Attachment(s)
I like the silver / grey on this one, who knows if its an original Ferrari colour. Similar shade to Audi Quartz Grey.

Welshkiwi 27th July 2019 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101497)
I like the silver / grey on this one, who knows if its an original Ferrari colour. Similar shade to Audi Quartz Grey.

Very nice LLM. This is a touch light for what I am looking for, I am a big 007 fan so would have been very easy to have gone this route for me, as it is very similar the DB5 traditional colour, but settled on darker so the bright work touches on the car will pop a bit and eventually the same when wires fitted as well. Cheers.

classiccoachworks 27th July 2019 22:05

ahh grigio is a favourite of mine.. that would look exceptional.im

thank you, really hoping to make Dan proud. i love all the kits and am really excited to have the opportunity to market this one on top the the Kali, Koupe Kobra..
we willcrack on with ours asap then soon as 250koupe back from paint.. prob early Sept.. it will be off to be made all shiny....

ill follow your thread if that's ok. good luck with build. you look to be doing a cracking job 😊

Welshkiwi 1st August 2019 08:52

Quick update, but not the one I wanted.
Trims still not welded, praying for good news tomorrow otherwise another lost weekend to get the sills sorted and on.
Brackets from Germany for the exhaust have taken an age, looks like they are in NZ, but not in my hands. Net result exhaust can’t be fitted up this weekend either as they are setting the position to weld brackets on the resonators....so a few weeks before the exhaust finished now.
Wrapping the bumpers, listen very carefully I will say zis only once!
Make sure you have no overspray from any filler/spray repairs on the surface that you are wrapping.....it pulls paint off the gel coat. The guys who are wrapping thought it would be ok but not the case. So have spent the last two days rubbing all the bumpers back to gelcoat surface, polishing with 3000 grit paper and now the vinyl test wrap went well. Chrome shows nicely so let’s see how they look when done next week now!

So a few things no quite to plan, but the stream as always is flowing (eventually) in the right direction. Cheers.

classiccoachworks 1st August 2019 23:02

ahhhh frustrating, as is always the way with builds, all the delays come when you're really wanting to crack on...
I feel your pain. hopefully more progress next week!
����

Welshkiwi 2nd August 2019 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by classiccoachworks (Post 101586)
ahhhh frustrating, as is always the way with builds, all the delays come when you're really wanting to crack on...
I feel your pain. hopefully more progress next week!
����

Thanks Belle, crisis half averted, the trims got the welding completed so all being well should be fitted and photos by the end of the weekend.....cracking on!

Welshkiwi 4th August 2019 06:13

Weather terrible but work must go on.

4 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, NZ weather is atrocious at the moment, so the garage door gets opened /closed/opened quite rapidly at the moment.
Sills are needing work as the trims we manufactured look superb, but show the sills aren't flat in relation to the stainless forms so need to be profiled for that, got the filler on but with the weather sanding gonna wait until later in the week.

So got stuck into exhaust hangers, (which arrived Saturday), rear shelf carpeting and rear light assy/pod. Pod holes are for access to the OEM light nuts if needed, they will be filled with some polished ally tube for a nice finish. Also finally removed the drivers door mirror. Exhaust now booked to be fitted next weekend and bumpers will be wrapped and finished on thurs. Great to be making headway.

Flickr and my computer just don't want to mix at the moment well together so here are some photos:

Lucky@LeMans 4th August 2019 08:18

Why all the rivet heads through the body by the exhaust mounts ?