Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Interior Finished (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6652)

Leadfoot 9th March 2018 09:11

Interior Finished

4 Attachment(s)
I have been rebuilding a 5exi for nearly two years now. It was in a sorry state when I bought it and IMO, one step away from the scrapyard.
Anyway, besides completely refurbishing the suspension, one of the other big jobs, was getting the interior done.
For all intents and purposes, it is now complete. Phew!:biggrin1:
Some before & after shots.
Now to fit the windscreen...

reiz2001 10th March 2018 16:20

Looking good, well worth the effort I would say :icon_cool:

What did you do to the dash, is it wrapped or painted?

Alex

Leadfoot 10th March 2018 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiz2001 (Post 93726)
Looking good, well worth the effort I would say :icon_cool:

What did you do to the dash, is it wrapped or painted?

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for the kind words.
I wrapped it with 4-way stretch vinyl material and used high temperature contact adhesive. It's about 1mm thick.
It was my first attempt at doing something like this so although I can pick fault, I am really pleased with the end result.

limpabit 12th March 2018 06:16

Very nice good job.:)

Has he car passed the IVA/SVA?

Leadfoot 12th March 2018 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpabit (Post 93739)
Very nice good job.:)

Has he car passed the IVA/SVA?

The car was SVA'd May 2006 (not by me). I bought it in April 2016 in a terrible condition and have been working on it ever since...
Getting to the end of the long slog now and I'm hoping to be at Stoneleigh with it this year

reiz2001 14th March 2018 19:52

Ok cool - had a look at that stuff, might have to try it out!

What’s next in your agenda? Time to remove the dust sheets soon and blow off the cob webs :)

Alex

Leadfoot 14th March 2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiz2001 (Post 93783)
Ok cool - had a look at that stuff, might have to try it out!

What’s next in your agenda? Time to remove the dust sheets soon and blow off the cob webs :)

Alex

Hi Alex, you will certainly find the 4 way stretch easier than normal vinyl to apply. Although, it was still a lot of work and I had to cheat in a couple of places where there was too much excess material.

As far as the agenda goes, I have just got in from the garage after bonding in the new windscreen.
The number of jobs on my to do list is dwindling quickly. :dance:

You going to Stoneleigh?

reiz2001 22nd March 2018 22:14

I did not realise that Stoneleigh was so close, it’s approx 35 miles from home. I’ve never taken the 5exi on the motorway 😦 so that could be fun!

Hoping to get the car out over the next few weeks in the warmer weather. There are a few things I need to do but have just been lazy over the winter 😔! Haha

Leadfoot 26th March 2018 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiz2001 (Post 93890)
I did not realise that Stoneleigh was so close, it’s approx 35 miles from home. I’ve never taken the 5exi on the motorway �� so that could be fun!

Hoping to get the car out over the next few weeks in the warmer weather. There are a few things I need to do but have just been lazy over the winter ��! Haha

I'm about 100miles away from Stoneleigh, so I will be travelling down the motorway. Mine has the 1.6 K-series engine and gearbox, so I expect high(ish) revs at motorway speeds due to the gearing.
It'd be good if you can get there as I'm hoping for a better than average attendance by 5exi owners.
I am expecting to get my car MOT'd within the next 2wks so I can finally enjoy the fruits of my (2 years) labours.

reiz2001 27th March 2018 20:52

A little further away then!

I’m pretty sure I’d be refuelling after 50 miles haha! I’ve put a MG6 1.8 turbo engine in, needs a good test this year with the whole setup. I’ll get some pictures over the coming weeks. Do you plan on keeping the 1.6?

The PG1 is a much better box too, easy mod with cheap MG TF parts.

Alex

Leadfoot 28th March 2018 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiz2001 (Post 93988)
A little further away then!

I’m pretty sure I’d be refuelling after 50 miles haha! I’ve put a MG6 1.8 turbo engine in, needs a good test this year with the whole setup. I’ll get some pictures over the coming weeks. Do you plan on keeping the 1.6?

The PG1 is a much better box too, easy mod with cheap MG TF parts.

Alex

Hi Alex,
Interesting engine choice, basically an updated K-Series, so no major drama in fitting?

I think there may be a little seeping on the gearbox seal so if I do have to take the gearbox off, I might just put the PG1 in instead. Like you said, cheap enough…

As far as the engine is concerned, I’ll wait for the whole potential emissions proposals thing to blow over before thinking about changing it out. Besides, I think I need to get some enjoyment out of the car as I have done nothing other than rebuilding.
As much as I’d like 300BHP monster, I think an extra 20-40BHP over standard will be enough for the fun factor.
I have looked into standalone ECU’s, new Piper cams, vernier cams, mapping and even done some research on adding a turbo but that will be “Phase 2” work which I’ll do over next winter.

Leon

reiz2001 9th April 2018 22:42

Yes essentially a k series, but much improved.

There’s a bit of work to get it back to a k-series, changing over most of the sensors, inlet manifold etc. Some of the block holes have changed too, in particular the crank sensor. Easy enough to make an adapter to hold the original sensor.

The system is running on MEMS 3 ecu, reprogrammed by Z&F tuning. Although not dyno’d myself - the map with decent intercooler and breathing can show 210 bhp.

I’d love a 300 bhp engine as you mention, but for easy, simplicity and cost this was the next best thing. Sounds great with that turbo tucked behind your head :)

You’re right - enjoying the car is paramount this year as it’s been garaged for most of the 2 years I’ve owned it. There always appears something to do/plays
up.

Leadfoot 14th April 2018 16:49

Great day!

After a 2yr rebuild, MOT passed!:dance:

EXI Turbo 17th April 2018 17:26

well done,

must get mine out of the garage and get it in for a MOT. I have not driven it since August last year !

reiz2001 18th April 2018 19:06

Great news, just in time for this weather!! :icon_mrgreen:

Leadfoot 18th April 2018 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXI Turbo (Post 94376)
well done,

must get mine out of the garage and get it in for a MOT. I have not driven it since August last year !

Thanks.
PS. Stop messing about and get your car out in the sun and to Stoneleigh!

Leadfoot 18th April 2018 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiz2001 (Post 94392)
Great news, just in time for this weather!! :icon_mrgreen:

:thumb:

Leadfoot 18th April 2018 23:02

1 Attachment(s)
My now road legal 5exi.
Hopefully I've uploaded the pic properly.