Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another R builder (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433)

alackofspeed 24th November 2005 18:40

Another R builder

Hi All,

I'm just about to take the plunge and pay my deposit for a 5EXI-R. :cool:

I know I don't have to consider it just yet, but to help me choose a colour, I'm wondering what colours are in circulation amongst other builders.

It seems the orange ones are pretty common, so that’s out. I've seen the Which Kit yellow one (not to my taste!), Dylan's car, and the recent Marlin demo cars (Lambo orange, silver, and the new blue one). I quite fancy a black one, having seen a picture of the original Marlin Turbo demonstrator - at least I think it was the demo car. Has/is anyone on here built / building a black car, and if so have you any pictures?

It's perhaps a bit girly asking about colours :icon_redface: , but the mechanicals are set in stone.

I'm looking forward to starting the build. :biggrin: I just need to get busy finding an engine in preparation of the kit's arrival....

Cheers,

John.

holgate86 24th November 2005 21:09

colour

It has taken me 18 months to decide what colour i'm going to paint mine, I have finally chosen imperial blue metallic (rs focus colour). I have just seen Marlins demo model in blue metallic and I must say it looks fantastic. I don't know what blue it is, anybody know?.
I also see they have fitted a rear panel to fill in the recess for the number plate. I had planned on fabricating a panel myself to do exactly that but Marlin have beaten me to it.
The thing about us guys building individual cars we want something unique and that even means having a different colour to all the other ones. The problem is Marlin have sold more kits than colours available.
I can only say if you're painting the kit it has to be metallic, I think all three Marlin demonstraters in silver,orange and blue metallic looked fantastic especially under certain lighting.

kind regards Brian

alackofspeed 24th November 2005 21:28

Cheers for the reply.

A tasteful choice of colour by the way.

I think I heard Terry say that the blue is a Lambo blue. It did look very good at Westpoint.

BIG_Fella 24th November 2005 22:00

I am going for the blue gel coat :biggrin:
The colour has changed a bit from the first blue ones according to marlin
Great to see there is another type R builder :eusa_dance:

alackofspeed 24th November 2005 23:04

Big Fella,

I see you're based in Bristol. I work and live in Bristol during the week, and go back to Dorset at the weekends - it would be great to meet up and discuss your car, and see how you're getting on with the type-r lump. It'd also be handy to see what I need to get with the Civic lump - e.g. how far the loom extends, and whether I need any ancillary components from around the engine bay.

Have you found any documentation for the Civic lump?

Please let me know if it's possible to meet up.

Cheers,

John.

limpabit 25th November 2005 09:13

The colour choice for me has been one of the hardest decisions to make. I've ended up going for the gelcoat black, because like you I wanted to be different. Have not ordered mine yet so can't show you any pictures.

craig 26th November 2005 16:54

Yeah I'm blue gel coat as well until it's finished then some sort of metallic blue.

I've decided to keep my type r engine and dump the turbo option, probably run it for a while to see if it's quick enough and then supercharge it as I don't think it will be that quick in standard form.

Nice clutch conversion bigfella and I was looking at your pedals...
I bought some from Dan already converted by Marlin but all the others I've seen look completly different to mine as on mine the accelerator pedal is about 6 inches longer which I did find a bit strange?