Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Wanted: Rear Hub (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2497)

GreatOldOne 15th February 2010 14:45

Wanted: Rear Hub

Guys,

Does anyone know the best place to get a rear hub from? I've asked on e30zone, and looked on eBay, but thats about it. Anywhere else I could look?

I need one to modify into my spare wheel carrier. The idea is to weld it to a plate that can get bolted to the tub, and then I have a nice secure mounting point that has exactly the right PCD on the bolts, and fits the bore of the wheel as well.

Cheers,

Jason

Mike 15th February 2010 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne (Post 18093)
Guys,

Does anyone know the best place to get a rear hub from? I've asked on e30zone, and looked on eBay, but thats about it. Anywhere else I could look?

I need one to modify into my spare wheel carrier. The idea is to weld it to a plate that can get bolted to the tub, and then I have a nice secure mounting point that has exactly the right PCD on the bolts, and fits the bore of the wheel as well.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason
You could offer a peice of flat plate - 2/3mm up to a wheel, drill through the 4 holes and then use standard bolts top to attach the wheel to the plate. Then weld the plate to a piece of sturdy box section. Then weld a second plate to fix to your tub.
This is how the Roadsters have their spare wheel attached.
Regards
Mike

peterux 15th February 2010 17:21

The e30 replacement front wheel bearings come complete with hubs. I changed mine when refurbishing but I think I've binned the old ones.

However, I just put a couple of bolts through the rear tub with big washers on the back, but you've now worried me if that will be strong enough?

A cheapo wheel spacer with the right PCD would make a good backing plate if you wanted something a bit strong and proabably lighter if you get an alloy one.

...peter

GreatOldOne 15th February 2010 18:41

Looks like I've managed to get one of e30zone - they only want £15 for it delivered, so I'll have a play with it and see what I can come up with - if it all goes wrong, the idea of using a spacer might be a good one.

As for strength, Peter - I wasn't really thinking about strength, more convenience, what with it being the right size already.

Patrick 15th February 2010 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne (Post 18100)
Looks like I've managed to get one of e30zone - they only want £15 for it delivered, so I'll have a play with it and see what I can come up with - if it all goes wrong, the idea of using a spacer might be a good one.

As for strength, Peter - I wasn't really thinking about strength, more convenience, what with it being the right size already.

I was looking at the idea of using a spacer but couldn't get one for a good price. Ended up using wheels bolts on one site and a set of wheel nuts on the other! :)

timbo 16th February 2010 17:26

Hi Jason
I made up a plate with 5 holes and welded nuts to them (with the wheel in place to make sure they were exactly in the correct place). Then welded a couple of long bolts to it, and used an ali spacer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33105452@N05/4362405165/
This means that you can bolt it in underneath without too much trouble (using a large ali home-made washer), then fit the wheel and tighten from the outside without needing arms as long as Mr Tickle's!!
It was a bit of work but thought it was worth it...
Guess putting a hub on will work in the same way...
Good luck
Tim
PS I wouldn't bother too much at this stage if you're pushed for time as my spare wheel failed the IVA radius test, so I just took it off for the re-test.

GreatOldOne 16th February 2010 22:03

1 Attachment(s)
No, this won't be going on until after the test...

But it's essentially going to do the same job as your rig, Tim. The mounting plate will be bolted to the tub, with some big chunky washers on the other side. The 'stem' of the hub will cut down to achieve the correct height when the wheel is mounted, as it will get welded to the plate.

It's all experimental at this stage. Once I have the hub, I'll be able to measure up and see just how easy it will be to modify it.