View Single Post
Old 19th February 2008, 13:31
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Hmmm - these people say it's more efficient:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...nfo/index.html

Quote:
Crossflow radiators have radiator rows located horizontally so that water travels across the radiator, and downflow radiators have rows positioned vertically so that water travels downward. A crossflow radiator is typically more efficient than a downflow for the simple reason that the pressure cap is located on the low-pressure side (opposite the outlet or upper hose location). This cap location allows sustained high-rpm operation without forcing fluid past the cap. In addition, under-hood-space considerations typically allow a shorter and wider crossflow radiator to utilize a larger core with added surface area, which provides more effective and efficient cooling.
Yet these people start off sitting on the fence, yet then say it'll cool better:

http://www.wizardcooling.com/faq.htm

Quote:
No, not necessarily. The important factor is the amount of heat dissipation surface the core has. The coolant flow direction is not important. Many aluminum radiator manufactures make "cross flow conversions" for many original down flow radiators. Although these radiators will cool better than the original, they do not look, mount, or fit like the original These cross flow conversion can require anything from new hoses to major sheet metal modifications. Cross flow conversions are the easiest and cheapest to design and manufacture. An installer must consider the cost of additional modifications that are needed when considering a cross flow conversion. Although Wizard Cooling is fully capable of producing cross flow radiator our primary focus is to design a build a radiator that will be configured like your original, fit the original radiator mounts, and cool what ever horsepower you have.
It's all very confusing!

I think I'll forget worrying about it until I actually have the damn thing running.