Thread: My Photo's
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2008, 15:27
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Oh bugger!

I had one of those 'oh bugger' moments when I took one step forward and two backwards. I was just trail fitting the seatbelt mounting 'eyebolts. Three went in fine but one was very tight due to either weld splash or powder coating in the thread. I stripped the thread of the eye bolt! I tried another old seat belt bolt off the BMW with slots cut in it to clear the powder coating. Stripped all the threads of that one too. (Starting to panic now).

So, I took the whole of my exhasut system off to get to the back of the threaded hole (Luckily?? it is one of the ones welded to the gearbox tunnel).

I got another old BMW bolt and carefully screwed it in from the inside of the tunnel with plenty of oil. It was fine for the first 90% of the thread and then it hit something so hard it strips off the thread of the bolt! I have now had to order a 7/16" UNF tap to re-cut the thread and clear whatever it is stuck in there. I just hope I can get the tap in as there is not much room at the back of the tunnel.
Fed up with no progrees, I turned to an easy job of fitting the rear reflectors, which wasn't quite so easy drilling the holes in the Stainless steel bumpers!

Pictures here.........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/

cheers all,

Peter