Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 29th September 2008, 10:29
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I have been watching this thread with interest - not that I am likely to change my engine installation now 90% of the way through the build.

So what is the advantage of the M50 over the M20 - is it purely that it is a more modern engine? For the guys like me that have already installed an M20 I can't help thinking it would be a lot of hassle changing to the M50 - all those brackets to make, exhaust and fuel systems to sort, electrics to do... Would it not be a better solution just to change to an after market engine management system like Megasquirt?

Just sittin' on the fence for a bit here ;-)

Robin

Robin
The M50 has 24 valves with variable inlet valve timing, making it more torquey (is there such a word?) at much lower revs. It is smoother, quieter, and more fuel efficient, and delivers 192BHP. The M52 with twin Vanos is more refined still, and the 2.8 with an M50 inlet manifold will achieve 220BHP.
For me it was not about absolute power but, low down revs torque. i just happen not to like engines which sound like screaming banshees - hence a nice slow revving straight six. I did consider a V8, but the BMW will certainly not fit the Cabrio engine bay, and the Rover appears to only deliver 150BHP, and very low fuel consumption.
I gues it is horses for courses - know what you want from your engine, and then choose one to suit your own well defined criteria.
As you say.........all very interesting. has anyone used the M52 in any type of Marlin?
Mike