Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:35
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Thanks for the tips, Mike. I've got pictures of the Lucas alternator mounted on the other side but like you would like to re-use the BMW one if I can. I don't fancy cutting the manifold. I think i'll get the engine in and then figure out what to do. Any more pictures would be useful, thanks.
I'm also going to try to re-use the cats if they will fit under the car as i'm not sure it'll pass MOT tests without.
I think I also have something called a Secondary Air Injection but I think that is just to reduce emmisons after start up.
Did Marlin suppy your engine mounts or make your own? I wouldn't mind a picture of each mount next time your in your garage with your camera.

cheers

Peter
Peter
I have posted pics of Andrew Curtis's M50 Inlet mods in his Sportster on my flickr site. Although Andrew is happy with it, the racing fraternity believe the elbow restricts breathing at the top end - which defeats the object of using a bigger engine if you cant extract the full power from it?
Looking at richard & Patrick's Compact M52 conversion, I do not think shortening its Inlet manifold is an option as it changes shape along its inlet tubes length. Shortening the M50 manifold is much easier, and will give you the additional benefit of an extra 20BHP! - see my Flickr pics.
I will take some engine mount and alternator pics over the weekend for my M50, which I guess is very similar to the M52? - Perhaps Patrick knows better, but I have the impression the M52 is mechanically similar (bottom end & block) to the M50, except it has a twin Vanos head? - but could be wrong.
Marlin supplied my engine mounts - but like most things they make they could be improved - to use the original BMW rubber mounts - not the cheap Landrover units they supply. The BM ones are offset top and bottom, so you can rotate them to move the positioning of the engine in the bay-- very useful in a Cabrio as the engine bay space is much more limited than your Sportster.
regards
Mike