Thread: Ball joints
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2008, 13:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDorey View Post
Question for Peter;

In amongst your piccys is a swivel from from a BMW?
Is this from an E30?
I'm looking at the new wishbones from Marlin and talking to an engineering friend of mine, and we're looking at modifying them to accept a BMW swivel.
An E36 swivel is a huge affair which is rubber mounted with two big lugs at the bottom.
The one shown here looks like it would fit (after machining the arms).

Rob.

Hi Rob,
yes, it is an aftermarket part for a BMW e30. (There is a picture of it in this thread above)
I don't think BMW sell these separately as they come pressed into the control arm.
The fit in the upright will be perfect as I believe the metro joint is a bit of a compromise solution, albeit satisfactory so long as you use an equivalent to the original GS269 part.
I have a picture of a sportster built by Marlin that used these pressed in joints. Not sure whether they changed to the metro design due to availablity, reliability, price or something else. Terry is always reluctant to share such information to protect their sales.
I only have one of these joints but if you want it to experiment with, send me PM and i'm sure we can come to some arrangement on cost as I was going to put it back on fleebay sometime.(the rubber boot was only briefly and carefully removed for the photo)
Not sure if these joints all generally though?

let me know, thanks Peter