View Single Post
Old 31st July 2010, 17:00

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
I would imagine the best way would be to cut off the outer wings, cut the inner bits and bulkheads to shape and bond your tub on top. That about it? (If I write it quickly it doesn't sound hard ) The only way to know would be to start on one I suppose.

One area that might be a problem is the depth of the 'boot' area. I see from the pictures of the one you're working on that there's not a lot between the top deck and the underside of the car. The fuel tank in a Chimaera sits upright in the boot, the other side of the bulkhead from the parcel shelf.

I've started looking for damaged cars and have a few contacts I can call. If we go much further we'll need to start 'proper' talking to each other. I might come for a spin down to Poole!
Paul,
The method you are describing above is kinda how the Banham range are done.... My only reservation with the Banham range is they are bonded to an inner structure of a monocoque shell , bodies are on for good , I do wonder how this will affect future maintainence issues with those cars...I'd like to think my SAMMIO's will be around long enough to require full restoration one day !!.......My Sammio can have its body removed , if necessary for major work and all components are accessible when it's in place for general maintainence...If using the stock floor etc. from the TVR , in theory the new body can be removed in the same way and accessibility to components won't be compromised....The boot thing could be an issue...it will need looking at , it may be a case of 'tweaking' something...theres always a solution ! I got a VW Beetle engine into the boot of a 1932 Roadster a few years back.....was told it couldn't be done with a stock Beetle lump without compromising the cars looks.........theres always a way !! ( It's actually a whole Beetle with one of my bolt on extender kits fitted under there ! )

You can call me anytime and you are welcome to visit my humble setup anytime as well....I have a customer coming down to see me from Yorkshire on Monday and I'm really pleased he is taking the time to do that...it saves a lot of aggro later on if things go unmentioned or assumed by either party..

I got the rear body mounts in place today on the grey car above and made the inner arches from 6mm ply and fitted them......I tweaked my shape slightly to allow more spring clearance...

I'll put up some more pictures of that car this week as I am going to start mounting the front around abouts mid-week as well as moulding/making a solid tonneau etc....

P.S. I'm still thinking about creating some rear wheel spats , like the mock up ones right at the beginning of this thread......whats the general concensus on those panels ...Porsche favoured something similar and Lotus liked their fared in wheels as well as DMW Cars....I like them , personally , just wondered aloud really !! ?

Thank you

Last edited by lancelot link; 31st July 2010 at 17:21..