View Single Post
Old 13th December 2010, 20:54
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cussen View Post

There were problems that needed addressing during the way, panel alignment and so on, but all the items I got were fit for purpose. Time had to be spent on making things just right, but I wasn't under any illusions that there would not be a lot of work involved and lots of skills to be learnt or employed.

If I had wanted someting to put togther over a weekend I would have forked out a huge wad of money and bought a Caterham, where everything comes in a box and you end up with a car that is identical to any other Caterham out of a box.

My car is totally individual (be that a good or bad thing) but what ever it is a very large part of it is my creation.
Chris
I agree with most of what you say...........but Terry does not tell it this way.

There are plenty of things you have to do your self which is fine, and makes for an invidual car: it's the bits that are done badly or wrong, or are in correctly supplied, and that you have to work out for yourself and that Marlin never say sorry, never admit to a fault, and never put their hands up when there are serious safety issues arising from the odd design failure - witness the Sportster wishbone issue. That was appalling: a design fault which could have been fatal, and still they would not put their hands up.
My steering column had the wrong part supplied: Marlin then said they had changed the part, and that I needed to buy a new UJ to go with it. After being pushed Terry agreed to supply the new UJ to go with the new part as part of the original kit. They 'modified' my anti roll bar by cutting it in to two bits and returned them saying I didn't need an ARB: yet the Marlin Cabrio BMW demonstrator had a complete one fitted?
I have have spent hours and hours making the windscreen/door/pillar/bonnet line up, by cutting and re-welding the screen stainless surround and aluminium door frames, and I haven't even started on the running board/wings and boot lid, which I know are far more difficult to get lined up properly:all this should not be necessary in a kit that has been around 20 years.
And, how many of us has had to wait not weeks, but months for a promissed part...........?

As you say Chris....." there are problems that need addressing along the way"

I very much agree that it is a testament to the skill and tenacity of the builder that the finished cars are of such a high standard.