View Single Post
Old 25th March 2011, 19:57

Steve Green is on a distinguished road
Default Moc

I think it must be a tie between Peterux and me as to who gets banned from the MOC first. But after re-reading this I think I will be in the lead.
It would be interesting as we are both active MOC forum users, me not so much here as another forum dedicated to my donor, a Morris Marina.

My personal thoughts are as follows.

I think the Marlin Owners Club consists of two prime factions.
Primarily the longer standing members who use the club as an extension of their social lives as they built their cars some time ago. Because it is such a personal relationship they resist all change to what they clearly think is their club.
Secondary are the people like me, the mechanics. Those who have bought old Roadsters and later models and those who have built cars like the Sportster and 5exi, and are working to keep them through IVA and on the road.

Sadly, despite the MOC constitution stating that they encourage the improvement of the standard of kit car construction by providing facilities for the exchange if news and technical information between the members and between the Club and those companies manufacturing kits based upon the designs originated by Marlin Engineering, Plymouth, they have failed the Sportster and 5exi owners to the extent that few bother to post anything on the MOC forum. (peterux is a notable exception)

There is also a propietorial attitude over the ownership of the MOC forum. Despite the fact that the MOC is well funded, some members pursue non members to the point of embarrasment. Sometimes to the point of witholding information or parts until the non member finally gives in and joins, or worse moves on to other forums that are more welcoming.

The public image of the MOC is the web site and forum, not Stoneleigh or any other public meeting of Marlin Owners. The web is there 24/7 rain or shine. Currently there is a delay in the implemetation of a new forum. This leaves the 10 year old version, that in its infancy was a revalation, looking very old and not allowing most of the facilities like editing and PM's that are standard on current forum/bb software. This again discourages new membership.

This (rant?) is not intended as an attack against the MOC though it might sound like it to some. In my early years as a member, my car would not have been on the road without them, quite possibly being scrapped as a dead loss. There is a wealth of information available from established members and I make regular contributions to the forum and club mag, Pitstop. These are not the actions of someone intent on destroying the MOC, rather someone with a passion for his Roadster.
But, and it's a big but (sorry for the inuendo) without encoraging new members and broadening its appeal, the club will gradually decline as there is a limited stock or Roadsters and Berlinettas.

Finally, the Marlin Owners Club apperance on Facebook, with all the problems that Peterux implies, is not in my opinion beneficial to the MOC. The danger is that it becomes a white elephant, or worse, dilutes further the content of the defined MOC forum.

The MOC is in the hands of it's committee.