View Single Post
Old 8th September 2011, 20:56

DeHavilland Motor Co is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossnzwpi View Post
Hi Terry at DeHavilland Motor Co. I've just had a look at your pictures on Facebook and I must say congratulations! There are some fascinating pictures there and it is very refreshing to see a manufacturer being so open and transparent. Long may you continue to keep open communication with your customers and potential customers.

I have a couple of questions for you from my perspective. These are meant to be supportive. I have always loved the original Dino for its looks and its Italian sporting and racing spirit. I also love the idea of kit cars - taking a fresh concept and a pick and mix bag of production car parts. Messing around in the garage to create something you can be proud of is as a big a part of the fun as the driving and camaraderie of the kit car community. Questions:

1. The body looks good and the chassis well-made but have you taken any professional advice about chassis strength and torsional rigidity? Using subframes and suspension from the MG will ensure well-developed structure and suspension, steering, braking for those parts but the structure joining them will need to be ultra stiff and strong to work well.
2. Have you thought about getting closer to replica look, perhaps as an option? Maybe original style 5x108 Cromodora wheels? Real Carello lights? The correctness of the detail look is important to me although I know many others aren't concerned about such details.
3. I like the V6 option idea. Let's not forget the Dino was born out of a plan to homologate the formula 1 Ferrari V6 engine so it could be used in F2. Maybe Rover/MG V6 engines would be in the right spirit (my choice would be an Alfa V6 because its "in the family" so to speak). Powerful, sonorous, high-revving sporty delivery....

All the best for your venture
Ross, in NZ
Hi Ross

Many thanks for the kind words. Regarding the chassis i have had an experienced engineer look at the designs and the materials used and he seemed more than happy if anything he believed that possibly the chassis could be of smaller gauge as we are using 3mm wall thickness on both the center backbone an side rails an other items in the chassis, a typical seven type roadster would only be 1.5mm.
Regarding the use of OEM parts no issues there but i do want the cars to be attainble and affordable. The use of original 246 Chromo wheels has be a bit of a mare to be honest as they are a 5 stud fitment and a 14" rim. because of the odd rim size tyres are quite expensive and the MG has a four stud pattern which would mean custom hubs to be machined to mach the original wheels as well as new discs all round. Here i have come up with what i hope is a sutable compromise utilising fiat 124 Cromo wheels that are a 4 stud pattern similar to the MGTF and have a 0 offset so no need for hub spacers and adapters also being a 15" rim tyres are far more reasonable. Might be a possiblity in the future to get the 246 in a four stud pattern but will have to see.
V6 for defo in the future looking at the honda V6 as both very powerfull, light and very reliable. Having owned a couple of Alfas i know how much parts are and also how often they like to have tantrums. Every day usability is the key here as the most frustrating thing would be to have such a pretty car in the garage instead of enjoying it every day.

Hope this wasnt to long winded thanks again for all the support guys.

Regards

Terry