View Single Post
Old 13th October 2011, 17:01

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Spent a couple of hours stripping down the rear suspension and removing the differential this afternoon so I can replace all the bushes with the polybush set I bought. I've now realised that blasting a rolling chassis leaves you without access to some crucial places that really need blasting and painting so I'll be doing those areas shortly too.

The diff. came out surprisingly easily but most of the suspension bolts are siezed in the steel bush inserts making the job a big pain in the bottom. Guess I'm going to have to drill out most of the siezed bolts and replace them with new as even my ball-joint splitter just ended up mushrooming the ends of the bolts rather than pushing them out.

On a more positive note, I've now started spraying and lacquering my wire wheels. I'd have done them all but the can of Simoniz 5 wheel silver paint I bought ran out after three wheels (a phone call to trading standards is in order I feel ). The colour's quite a bit darker than I was expecting, looking more like grey steel than bright silver, but I kinda like the effect and I'm not going to redo them now after all the work I've put in. Before and after shots below:

Quite a difference!

Hoping to start welding up the chassis in a day or two, just waiting for a delivery of steel at the moment...