Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 10th February 2012, 19:32

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Default Dual servo

Tried to finish off my servo installation today, but met an unexpected problem. I attached the new feed lines to the remote reservoir then fitted it in place. I have added a couple of pics to this so you can see results. Servo is sandwiched between the battery and pedal box. I then decided to route the feed lines under the new servo then up to the m/c input. A very long route but out of the way I thought. Connected it all up then with my wife sat in the seat to push the pedal we bled the system. Surprisingly after 6/7 pumps per cylinder all the air appeared to be driven out. Then foot on the pedal and it went straight to the floor with not a lot of resistance. Then tried it twice more with small amounts of air being expelled but same result with pedal.
It did not make sense, why do I not have a brake, after all when I tried it with the original lines ( which were too short and via a straight line ) I had a good brake pressure. I then bled them again but this time did approx 20/25 pumps per wheel and got much more air out and at the end there was pressure when I applied the brake.
I took it down our private road and it worked but I would not want to stop in an emergency on the main road. Something still amiss.
Only thing I could think of is that the new lines are much longer ( approx 850mm ) and it dives down under the servo. Have I created an air gap in the lines to the m/c, which are not under pressure, unlike the the copper lines that feed the wheels from the m/c. So is the air staying in the lines and gradually seeping in to the system. I am going to have to bleed them again and I will shorten the lines to a more direct route.
Any suggestions as to what my problem is ?

In the pics you can see my solution to my wing stay issue I had like the rest of you. I intend to add one more U clamp as the plate is big enough. I copied Robins solution with the fibreglass mudguards because of my 18" wheels ie holes through the side.
There is also a pic of my old servo in place.
I will one of these days post a pic of the car when I bought it with all its stickers on ( even under the bonnet as you can see ) and how it looks now.

DSC00350 by denniswpearce, on Flickr

Sportster 019 by denniswpearce, on Flickr

DSC00348 by denniswpearce, on Flickr

DSC00345 by denniswpearce, on Flickr