Thread: G46 V8 Mk1
View Single Post
Old 21st April 2012, 19:07

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Progress over the last couple of weeks

Progress is a little slow but very enjoyable I am alone until Charlie returns in a couple of months and this update is for him as well.

There is a lot of work with template's shaping adjusting stripping down taking off re fixing etc etc etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

This shows the front and rear bulkheads cut and temp fixed into position with screws and glue and the body temp fixed back on around the ply sections.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have now positioned and fixed the pedal box in place, but the floor will need to be reduced under the peddles. I have judged the wheel position by sitting in the car and seeing if it fitted my arms? even thou we moved the bulk head back 200mm I am only going to need to extend the steering column by about 150mm

I have also worked out the route for the manifold and exhaust so it misses the brake & clutch master cylinder and steering column, meant changing back to an alternative manifold and a lot more cutting. You can see in the pictures why a blister is needed to gain access to the reservoirs.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sowing the inside of the door, the door fit is remarkable good wont take much for a prefect fit, I would like to have concealed door hinges if that's possible used some on the 289 I built which are available from Europa sales, but I am sure they will be challenging to fix.

[IMG][/IMG]

My photos do not do the car justice with the door taped in the sweep back over the front wing, bulkhead top of door line to rear wing is a delight and accentuates the "coke bottle" shape

[IMG][/IMG]

I have shaped two swooping brackets template in 4mm ply to be laser cut in steel which bolt to the suspension turrets and will bond to the underside of the bonnet with a cross brace between the two.

My current thinking is to carry on with the body shell and once I have everything shaped then to let loose bonding all the play to the existing fibreglass tub. The engine and gear box are only dummies and I think once the body is complete to hoist off the car, it is all integral on the tub and then fit the engine box etc etc.

With the body off I will then be able to glass up behind the panels joins I will not be able to reach while it is on the chassis.

How does mike make that lovely bevelled detail around the air scope on the special posted today???????????? having rounded off the wheel arches I need to make a beaded edge I have a few ideas any one have and idea how its done.

Happy days hope to have a whole day on the car tomorrow.