View Single Post
Old 10th October 2012, 09:11

martinwinlow is on a distinguished road

alackofspeed

Ah, yes. I fear you may have failed 'the attitude test'. Unfortunately, if you went into this interaction with a police officer from, by your own admission, an 'anti' perspective, the likelihood of you coming out the other end feeling warm and fuzzy towards the constable and police in general is small.

Next time, try imagining that the policeman is your driving instructor who isn't interested in getting you into trouble (do people really imagine police officers enjoy doing all that paperwork?), but is just interested in saving you (and other road users) from yourself and hoping to see you hang up your driving spurs one day with 60+ years of blameless driving behind you.

As for the rights and wrongs of your 'pulling away too fast', I've always applied the simple test (and I have asked this question regularly) "If you did that on your driving test, would you have passed?". It sounds like your 'wrong doing' was marginal but it was probably just an excuse to stop you. And bear in mind, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the officer was just interested in your kit car and wanted a chat about it, but things spiralled out of hand.

As for the MOT question, my understanding is that if you have based your kit on the major components of an existing vehicle which is at least 3 years old already, then your kit will need an annual MOT. If not and you fill in the registration forms correctly and the kit's V5 shows 'new' on whatever (recent) date, then you get the 3 years grace.

But, yes, I suspect the real answer is that 95% of DVLA staff don't know.