View Single Post
Old 13th January 2013, 11:29

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Just got time for another quick "copy & paste" update before heading out for a family pub lunch...

Brake Master Cylinder - More Thoughts:
You may recall, that unbeknown to me, the Cordite body was not designed for Spitfire 1500 brakes.

The more time I spend trying to work out how to keep these, the more of a pain it becomes.
All the brake pipes were refurbished by the previous owner.
The system was also tested to MOT standard (& passed) by my local garage.
So here is where my thought process has got me so far...

Option #1
Fit the master cylinder "as is" and adjust the frame, bulk head & bonnet to accommodate it.
Below is a rough sketch* of the impact of this approach on each of these areas.
( * Don't look too closely for anything resembling scale or true perspective. )

As you can see, a shed load of work and the distinct possibility of it looking like a dog's dinner.
So whilst this is a "don't fix want ain't broken" solution for the brakes, it is a no go for everything else.

Option #2
Replace the existing brake fluid reservoir with a "remote" one mounted to the adjacent bulk head.
I would also cut out slots in the fibre glass to mount the m/c directly to the frame plate below.
( As this would lower the unit a few mm and they all count. )
The existing brake fluid "out" lines would remain unchanged and stay fixed where they are.
But new brake lines would be needed from the remote reservoir to the fluid "in" points.
Although more research is needed as I'm struggling to find out if this is actually possible.
I know the Spitfire reservoir can be removed, but think it is basically a plastic "push in" fitting.
So I need to check if you can get a hose fitting to match that isn't the normal "screw in" type.
I think this approach would allow me to make a much smaller modification to the bulk head.
The recess should sit in between the existing frame rails, so they wouldn't need any work.
Obviously the whole point of the system is to reduce the height, so the bonnet would be OK too.

Option #3
Replace the tandem master cylinder with an upgraded "traditional" single feed set up.
The twist would be to fit a "3 way" joint to keep the rest of the dual pipe work as is.
So the single pipe out from the new master cylinder would only be a few inches to the new joint.

Option #4
Replace the m/c as in Option 3, but re-plumb the brake lines into a traditional line feed system.
Lots of pipe work required for this approach which is something I'm keen to avoid if possible.

Conclusion
I hope Option #2 will be possible, but realistically, Option #3 may be the most practical solution.

As always, happy to get feedback from those who know more about this than me.

Cheers, Paul.

Pops - Cheers Stuart, some photos would be a big help, thanks.

Last edited by Paul L; 11th September 2019 at 09:08..