View Single Post
Old 14th January 2013, 18:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

A Car For All Seasons...
This is what greeted me as I left for work this morning...

Still, at least the weather can't stop me shopping on line.

Rimmer Bros - January Sale
I had built up a list of assorted small bits & pieces I needed and this seemed like a good time to order them.
- All the retaining bits for end of throttle cable (previous clip went missing & was the wrong part anyway).
- Choke cable (as there is some fraying on the outer surround on my donor's one).
- Olive for petrol tank "fuel out" pipe (as I need to turn this through 180 degree, given the tanks new location).
- Clips for fuel & brake lines (easier to get these now rather than source them separately).
- A couple of small enamel Union Jacks which I plan to fit either side of the car (final location TBC).

However, I also made one significant purchase at this time, which I will cover in more detail below…

Engine Cooling - Update:
When I was looking at alternative brake master cylinders, one seller also did extra wide Spitfire radiators.
I went to compare prices with another seller I'd previously seen on Ebay but found his stock was sold out.
So by delaying a final decision (see below) I was now facing paying more for a reconditioned unit.

The good news is the Rimmer Bros sale put their new radiators under the price of the reconditioned one.
So I've now ordered this extra wide radiator which should simply "bolt straight in" to the Spitfire mountings.
Although I may need to get some longer hoses to connect it.

Overall Project Planning:
When I started building this car I was half expecting other builders to be blazing a trail for me to follow.
The reality is not many Cordites are on the go & its Navigator replacement will have significant differences.
With limited time, I am keen to avoid having to re-do work, or do extra work which could have been avoided.
However, there comes a time where waiting for a perfect answer is no longer worth it due to knock on delays.

I'd delayed ordering this radiator because I still don't know if there is enough clearance under the bonnet.
( The bonnet will only fit when the front chassis brackets are removed after the re-body inspection. )

But the latest update on the original AndyP57 demonstrator is that he has abandoned the flip up bonnet.
Instead, he has cut out an access panel in the top of the bonnet, which will now be quick released instead.
It doesn't look like there will be any scoops, or bulges, but I just don't know if he needed to lower his radiator.

The other thing to note from this photo is that Andy has also abandoned the idea of using the original doors.
They have now been bonded / fibre glassed shut, which was my own "doomsday" option if all else fails.
( Andy's plan is to provide a better door arrangement for both the Navigator & Pilot (ex-Spyder) designs. )

With snow now replacing the traditional rain outside, I know I will be making slow progress over the Winter.
The key for me will be to finish as much of my "mock up" work as possible & make final build decisions.
That way, if we do actually get a half decent Spring & Summer this year I will in a position to push on.
Although given how long everything seems to take, I will not make any rash promises about deadlines.

Seat Belt Mounting Options - Update:
The new seats that were supplied with my donor didn't actually come with any instructions.
Thankfully Rimmer Bros were kind enough to send me some which I found shortly after my test fitting.
It looks like the "Retractor" and "Floor Mount" brackets could actually be bolted to the same mounting point.
So I will add that fact into the general beard scratching mix.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Replies:
Mr T - I wouldn't mind an American Football shaped bulge in the middle of my bonnet if required.
It is the fact that it would need to be hanging half way off the edge of the bonnet that really worrys me.
And thanks for answering Micha's questions too.
micha - Welcome to my build thread.
I'm not worried about the V5Cs of the cars in the photos, the context was their front indicators, nothing else.
Legally my 1980 donor only needs a two point, diagonal, belt fitted, but I will be fitting something better.
If I can't get my own welding up to standard, I plan to get my mate to weld the seat belt mounting points.

Last edited by Paul L; 11th September 2019 at 09:09..