View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:11

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Not much to report as this was always going to be a weekend for other stuff...

Welding Machine Repairs:
I decided to sort out the earth lead on my mate's MIG before I had another go doing any welding.

This was before…

I cut the cable back, opened up the cable clamps & then re-joined the freshly cut cable end.
I even remembered to fit the rubber clamp cover over the cable before I re-joined it!

It also occurred to me that welding at the bottom of the garden might be a small part of my problem too.
My first welding attempts were done on the patio using an extension lead plugged into the kitchen.
Since then, I've use an extension lead plugged in Summer House, which itself takes power from the house.

Would the 100 odd foot of armoured cable in the ground, before I add an extension lead have an impact?

Battery Box:
I'd ordered a pair of heavy duty "D" handles for the battery retaining strap I'm planning to use…
Clearly I had forgotten to take account just how much space they would take up on the bulk head.

At least with the handles roughly in place I could measure the distance over the top of the battery.
This gives me the length of luggage strap I need, so now I can get that ordered as well.
( See masking tape in photo. )

I might just trim one side of the hinges off, as two bolts on each side should more that do it.

And If not, I'll just move the whole battery box a little to the left (as you view the photo).

Harry Potter:
I have a long tradition of blaming the weather for delaying my build, but there was something else involved.
Little did I know that the decision to read all the Harry Potter books to my girls would cause delays too.
What started out as reading a little bit each night evolved into epic 4 reading sessions a day at weekends.
But today, we have just finished all 7 books & 8 films, which will give me a bit more free time to work on my car.

The DVDs arrived on Christmas Day and the rule was simple, no film until corresponding book was read first.
At this point we had only read the first two books (on the left) & were in the middle of book three.
Since Christmas morning we have read & watched everything on the right in the photo, an epic quest.

Please Note:
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade all the time I spent reading & watching for a quicker build, no way.

Until next time, take care, Paul.