View Single Post
Old 28th February 2013, 17:52

Paul L is on a distinguished road

GaryH & Mr T - Glad you liked the link, I do like seeing skilled people at work.
One of these days I'll post a few links to some other great car builds I've followed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gearbox Tunnel Thoughts:
Originally I was planning to simply re-use the white plastic tunnel that came with my donor…

However, on closer inspection, it is clear that there isn't anywhere to join the front "lip" to the bulk head.
This is because the body shell edges effectively end at a 90 degree angle relative to the front tunnel "face".

What is harder to see in this photo is the frame work around the tunnel isn't "square" either.
The horizontal frame rail that is shown going across the front of the top of the tunnel is fine.
But the two vertical frame rails either side of it are not directly connected to it as such.
( They are both set with different spacing and at different vertical angles. )

Obviously, I could build up a lip around the existing body shell to give me something to mount the tunnel to.
However, I think a simpler solution would be to move the front tunnel mounting to the "inside" of the horizontal rail.

So I intend to build a square sided "horseshoe" in plywood, which can be bolted to this horizontal frame rail.
This would form the inner most part of the bulk head & the rest of the body shell would be joined to this.
( As part of the traditional bonding / fibre glassing of body shell to frame work. )

Despite playing loose & free with scale & perspective, I hope this sketch will help explain the words above…

The top of the horseshoe would be higher than shown to match the hole in the body shell.
It also might be easier to build a new tunnel out of plywood / fibre glass, rather than modify the existing one.
But I'll have another long at that when everything else has been slotted into place.

Hope to get a chance to work outside on Sunday.

So until then, take care, Paul.