View Single Post
Old 10th August 2013, 08:57

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

To be totally honest, if I'd bought the company I think I'd be concentrating on perfecting the existing product line.

Gary J got the design of the Spyder right, even if the execution was a little frayed around the edges. The shape really works - even the chap who sign-writes classic racing cars for a living thought mine was a restored original Lancia - and the simplicity of the Triumph mechanical components is a bonus to the home builder.

I appreciate that there are those that want to spend more on a track day special with 15,000rpm bike engines and rose jointed suspension, so I'd be looking at developing a space frame chassis to take the Spyder body. That'd give you a product to rival Caterham's finest on the track, but much prettier and at less than half the price.

The key to the success of the Sammio Spyder imho is that it looks like it really was built in the fifties. Unless you're going to put a convincing e-type/D type/C type replica together with the parts you've mentioned above, which probably would sell, ninety nine times out of a hundred 'original' kit car designs just don't hit the spot for me, or for other potential buyers judging by the poor sales and frequent bankruptcies of their creators.

I wish you luck with your R&D Andy, I just think it would be a good idea to concentrate on your core business first.

In the words of Forrest Gump: That's all I've got to say about that...