Thread: Adam's Cordite
View Single Post
Old 9th September 2013, 11:50

adam1979 is on a distinguished road

So i've not made a huge amount of progress over the summer as I've been busy getting married and honeymooning. Even so, managed to squeeze a few petrol head related things into both - the wedding car, a 1969 Porsche 911 and the honeymoon car, a 4L Mustang...

The past few weekends I've been stripping down the engine and I'm glad that I did in the end as I found some problems that would have bitten me in the @rse after a few hundred miles.

The rear crankshaft thrust washer was installed back to front so was running metal on metal. the result of this is the crank thrust face is damaged. I don't think its beyond repair so I've sent it off to a local machine shop today to be refaced. I might need some custom thrust washer made up but at least I'll know it will be spot on tolerance when its finished!

With everything stripped, I went to work on the block with some gunk and a pressure washer. The water jacket was really clogged up but not anymore. All painted up and ready to rebuild once the machine work is completed.

Before...

And after...

Before...

And after...

And some engine components...

There is one thing that is still confusing me. The main bearings on the crank are 2.3" diameter, not the normal 2". I did some research and though that I could have a TR6 crank in my engine but the stroke is standard for the GT6. I have heard that the bearings were increased in size towards the end of GT6 production (to bring them in-line with the TR6). Any ideas anyone?

Adam