View Single Post
Old 5th June 2014, 19:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Thankfully I have mainly taken steps forward today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Morning:
First job was to hammer the hand brake pivot panel as straight as I could get it.

I also cleaned up the metal as best I could for welding, but there were some hard to reach places.

Note: I had refitted the bolt to ensure nothing got twisted when I was hammering / welding.

I couldn't get the welder in behind the bracket, but, in addition to welding the panel, I added extra welds to the edges of the bracket.

Then I slapped some fibreglass filler over the welds and across the edges of the panel the welder couldn't reach.

I then continued to use the filler on the final areas of the underside of the arches.

Including the two corners that had been fibre glassed previously.

Plus a small hole in boot floor.

While that was all setting, I turned the arches back over so I could work on the "sunny side".

After checking the modified panel I had to dig out some slightly smaller clips.

Then I tested the screws to make sure they would hold the panel in place.

I will not be fitting this panel until the arches are on the chassis.

As the "hole" allows me to centralise the arches over the suspension / lowering block bolts.

Next job was to tidy up the fire damage from welding the panel on the other side.

After cleaning up the mess I got some etch primer on.

Previously I had taken a section out of this strip of metal attached to the wheel arch.

But one side was coming away, so I decided to trim both sides to get rid of the upper section completely.

Then it was another round of applying filler.

I was going to add another layer of fibreglass in this corner, but it was quicker to use the filler instead.

The other corner had the extra layer of matting, but just need a small "topping up" in some areas.

Finally there was some more topping up to do on the fibreglass on the boot floor area.

At this point I just left everything to dry / set rather than start something else at the front of the house.

End of part 1.