View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:10

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Micky - Thanks for your very generous offer, but I am actually keeping the Cordite bonnet the standard length.

The following isn't as high tech as Scottie's updates, but I hope it will make things a bit clearer...

I will need to reshape the end of the bonnet is a similar way to your car, but my bonnet will be shorter.

You were able to re-use the final edge of the Spitfire bonnet as you cut away more of the Navigator body shell.

However, I am trying to keep the original sides of the Cordite body shell in place, like so.

So what I am currently working on is building a bonnet lip for the body shell that will extend beyond the Spitfire bonnet shut line.

I will then build the rest of the bonnet shut line and the rest of the scuttle around that lip.

I hope that makes some sense, as I can hardly get my head around what I am trying to do myself.

Dave - Well this project has certainly driven me to drink at times!
( Hopefully the explanation above makes things a bit clearer. )

Oxford - I'm sure a man of your skills will find a suitable place for all your instruments.
I wanted to re-use my Spitfire dash to by-pass the need for skill, and that means I can't butcher the bulkhead.

Ed - I will definitely try my best to get some sort of flow around the aero screens.

Scottie - Thanks mate, I know we'll both get there in the end (touch wood).
The way I look at it, Michiel has just raised the bar for the "Swan" standard.

If my car only looked like a distance "dirt poor, inbred, hillbilly" relative of this one, I'd still be happy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Project Hillbilly - Part 1:
I started the day by jacking the car up in an attempt to get a level playing field to align the body shell.

However, I should have know better than to bring spirit levels, straight edges & a tape measure out.

Instead I will adopt the true Sammio "you can't see both sides at the same time' ethos and carry on.

To cheer myself up a bit I added some fibreglass filler to the door gaps, after I had cleaned them up a bit first.

I've bought a tub of the stuff that Mac is using.

But based on Andreas' Tribute build I may have under estimated the quantity of filler required!

Question:
What sort of electric sander would you recommend for filler / body work?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then it was time to cut out some more matting and do the next round of fibre glassing on the scuttle area.

Then I left everything to set for a while

End of Part 1...

Last edited by Paul L; 23rd June 2014 at 16:22.. Reason: Typo