View Single Post
Old 12th September 2014, 20:48

swifty is on a distinguished road

Decided to do more work to the body, the offside rear wing is about 30mm lower and overall shorter in length than the nearside so i decided to make a few cardboard templates of the nearside to copy over to the offside.

IMG_4686.jpg

Used a spirit level to find out how low the offside arch is, also made sure that the cockpit was lying level before working out was was to do. The packing is about 30mm which brought the two wing tops level.

IMG_4685.jpg IMG_4684.jpg

The first image is of the offside i have drawn a red line to illustrate where the wing curve meets the body as the image does not show it too well, the second image is the nearside, you can see the difference in body shape due to the offside wing being shorter in overall length. The position of the cockpit curve is correct in line with the sub frame and chassis center line so i know this is correct.

IMG_4692.jpg

One of the card board templates which shows roughly how much filler has to be applied so i had to come up with an idea that would allow me to roughly get the shape i require without using loads of fiber glass and filler.

IMG_4693.jpg

Not sure if this will work as i have not seen it done before. I used a can of foam filler over the surface of the wing which needs to be built up, first rough the surface then wiped with acetone to remove any mold wax. My next plan is to roughly shape the curve by hand then cover with 300g fiber glass matting before covering with fiber filler then hopefully finishing off with body filler.
Has anybody tried this, does it work or will there possibly be problems in the future.

Well that's it for now and hopefully tomorrow i will have the glass mat in place.

See you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 13th September 2014 at 08:56.. Reason: typo