View Single Post
Old 28th October 2014, 07:10

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road
Default Tuesday

The work I am doing now on the dash is incredibly satisfying stuff, and the reason is, that when I first started this build a year ago, (before the body shell arrived) It was all planning and preparation.

I did a lot of photo-study to try to work out what the XKSS dash switches were, and what their function was.
More importantly, how I could source them and get my hands on 50 year old switches most of which are unavailable now.

(oddly enough, Lucas still make the dip switch and the horn button, 50 years on, which surely has to be a testimony to good design)

Luckily, being an incurable hoarder, and having owned several Jaguars over the years, (mainly old battered ones I had to renovate) I had some of the stuff I needed already.

The things I could not get hold of, I had to make, so I did all that, and now I am at the assembly stage, which is so rewarding, as slowly, slowly, in front of my eyes, an XKSS dash is miraculously appearing, exactly as it is in all the pictures I have on file.

I will try to get the dials in today, but I have to go so slowly so as not to ruin what I have done so far. One wrong cut, or hole too large, and its back to the drawing board! And hours and hours wasted

watch this space...........