View Single Post
Old 29th October 2014, 08:21

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I'm finding that 'a little and often' is the way to tackle Alloy Paneling! as the cutting/shaping/drilling/riveting does take longer than you'd think and is also quite a physical task, especially for someone who drives a keyboard for a living!

So the passengers side of the central tunnel is now in place:

and amazingly I've now just about run out of alloy sheet! (I'd originally ordered 2 sheets of 2000x1000x1.2mm!) So a quick order to metals4u for another 2 sheets and a load more alloy-angle has just been placed that (after some careful measuring) looks like it will allow me to finish the interior and make the wheel arch liners

Additionally to that and with the help of the nice chaps at Merlin Motorsport and the Triumph Owners Club forum, I've been doing a bit of research into the Vitesse Suspension as I'm not happy with how mine is sitting at the front and my local MOT men don't like chopped springs!

Here's an interesting read (with embedded charts) for anyone looking at altering their front suspension that shows you what std springs were fitted and advise for after-market spring rates:

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/f...?m-1294420747/

That shows us is the front spring rates and that the OEM ones are 2 3/4" internal diameter.

Now interestingly.... if you buy the height adjustable GAZ shocks from mssr's Rimmer, those were custom made for Rimmers with a 2 3/4" spring seat so you could fit the std springs!
I know this as the nice man at Merlin Motorsports rang them and asked for me

But... most after-market lowering springs, including the ones i'd bought previously specifically for the Vitesse (although i can't remember where from) are 2 1/2" Internal Diameter!

So, If you alter the spring seats down to 2 1/2" (not too hard i've found!), or buy some 2 1/2" spring seats for your shocks then suddenly the world is your lobster!!

And if you talk to the nice man at Merlin, you can opt for just about any length and rate of 2 1/2" spring that you'd ever want and for not a lot of money at all!!

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...ilover-springs

After my reading and measuring i have now ordered some 2 1/2" x 8" x 325lbs springs and we shall see what we shall see