View Single Post
Old 7th November 2014, 12:41

davecymru is on a distinguished road

This thread reminded me about something i'd ready a while back that i know a few of you will find interesting.

Here's a link to response the that the Association of Car Enthusiasts got when they requested clarification from the DVLA about what is and isn't caught up in chassis modification.

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-an...-modification/

It's a very interesting read and for me it was especially good to see formally and in writing that the rear outriggers don't count as chassis as they are not part of the "full original length of the longitudinal members" as are not part of the longitudinal member, but rather they are additional body mounting brackets that are added on for the Herald/Vitesse and aren't there for the Spitfire.

Ref:

Quote:
Q) We know that cutting or shortening a chassis is classed as modification but is this relative to the vehicle wheelbase i.e. the chassis must remain uncut between the 2 axles but anything forward of front or aft of rear suspension mounts can be removed?

A) Chassis includes the full original length of the longitudinal members including to the front of the front axle and to the rear of the rear axle.
and:

Quote:
Q) Is it acceptable to remove bodymounts, which contribute no strength to the chassis when changing a body to a different style /make?

A) Yes, providing they are additional to and are not an integral part of the chassis structure.

I know that this doesn't help Paul's Spitfire front end mods, but in that case this bit may be of interest:

Quote:
In that letter stated that (in my words - based from memory) adding minor supporting brackets are acceptable changes that don't class as chassis modifications.

Some of the clarifications around ' boxing' of chassis members may also be of interest to a few builders!