View Single Post
Old 11th January 2015, 16:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - Cheers & I'm really enjoying seeing how you are sorting out your own bonnet.

Mac - Whilst it wasn't as cold as yesterday, it is still a long way off beach weather here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Close Enough:
My first priority today was to take my youngest daughter to see the final Hobbit film at the cinema.

My second priority was to see if I could make any more progress with re-joining the driver's wing to the bonnet.

I'm afraid a length of wood was as high tech as it got.

But that was still enough to confirm I needed to edge the driver's side up a fraction.

I lost count of the number of times I fiddled about with the initial brackets I had fitted.

However, just like yesterday, there comes a point when you just have to stick a stake in the ground and get on with it.

So I made some "bendy" brackets out of one of my metal "formers".

This allowed me to beef up the support around the nose.

Then I used my normal fibreglass brackets to stitch the rest of the bonnet together.

Thankfully the wood confirmed that everything was still "about" right.

This is the view with the bonnet open.

Which also allowed me to photograph the headlight holes from the inside.

Passenger Side:

Driver's Side:

That is certainly close enough for me and the overall "Hillbilly" standard of this project.

Although the next real challenge is to build a "ridge" between the nose and headlight like this.

In the "thin air" that occupies that space on the driver's side.

But for now, this is the view across the front.

And this is the view from the front with the wood removed.

Note:
My gap looks a bit different to Mac & Swifty's due to the fact my bulkhead is a different shape.

I might have a look at the area under the grille opening before I start "healing the wound".

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 11th January 2015 at 17:05.. Reason: Typo