View Single Post
Old 11th January 2015, 17:03

davecymru is on a distinguished road

This week has been all about the bodywork.

After talking to one of the guys at work who is into "detailing" (posh car cleaning!! ) I decided to modify the approach I took last time, to see if I could get a more professional finish this time around.

So...

Here's an example of how things generally look after painting, with a good 3 or 4 coats of colour:

To this I then do a rub down with 1200 grit wet-n-dry (used wet).

Then that is followed by a once over with Halfords Rubbing compound (also used wet)

That makes things look like this:

This in itself looks nice and is very flat, but it's hazy.

So after doing all of the bodywork on the Sammio by hand, and not wanting to go through all of that faff again! I was looking at investing in an electric polisher when I stumbled across this power drill adapter for £4.99 in Halfords!!

That coupled with a Hard (White) flatting pad, a soft (Black) polishing pad at £4.99 each and things came to considerably less than some of the admittedly very nice Random Orbit polishers I'd been day dreaming over!

A quick scan of my cleaning shelf threw up a bottle of Meguires Ultimate compound for the final flatting. and a huge bottle of Autoglym for the final polishing.

And with a lot of hard work, this is the sort of result I am now getting!!

TBH this is a whole leap ahead of the paint finish I achieved on the Sammio!

It's also surprising how quickly I get through power drill batteries, so I'm taking things a small area at a time and also refitting things as I go (while batteries recharge!)