View Single Post
Old 14th January 2015, 15:07

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Brass Monkeys - Part 1
I started by removing a selection of my "rag tag" fixing brackets & moulds.

Despite doing this kind of repair work for a while now, I still enjoy the fact that is actually works!

Then I countersunk the screw holes from above & ground the areas around the screw holes from underneath, plus any stray bits of matting.

Which gave me the chance to see if the bonnet shape was at least heading in the right direction.

I'm happy that the yoga mat did provide the basis of a "dip" between the wing & the bonnet.

I am also well on the way to having something to work with where the headlight meets the hose.

Obviously I wasn't expecting the bonnet to be "good to go" at this stage.

Especially given all the work Swifty had to do to re-shaped his nose (below).

So the next step was to prepare the remaining gaps, which as usual doesn't look very promising from this side.

But at least it looks a bit more respectable on the side that matters.

At this point I had to come back indoors to warm up a bit, as I was losing the feeling in my fingers!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The cold was one thing, but the wind was a real pain in the butt.

I used a wheelie bin to act as a wind break to give my working area some shelter.

The first round of fibreglass matting (& scraps) covered the nose/headlight area.

The second round covered the last couple of gaps and the screw holes from below.

Seeing WCA's "Rocking Chair" next door made me smile, as this has been my seat while doing this work.

So now the bonnet is completed re-joined apart from the rear edge which needs to be re-profiled and extended.

Once again, I was glad of the excuse to leave that to set for a while and come back indoors.

End of Part 1...