View Single Post
Old 14th January 2015, 15:12

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Brass Monkeys - Part 2
My next job was to have a look at how I might be able to restore the lower valance.

This was the section I previously cut out.

So I made a cardboard template to match it and used that to work out where it would foul the chassis.

With templates for both sides done, I could mark up the original piece and cut a couple of sections out.

This is not a great photo, but I also had to grind the bottom edge of the driver's side hinge for clearance.

Then I fixed some brackets to the bottom section, so I start at the passenger side and work my way along.

After fixing a few more brackets along the edge the lower valance was back in positon.

Obviously there is a mismatch at the driver's end, due to the bonnet chop & nose job.

Which leaves me with two areas to sort out:
- I need to "even up" the bottom edge to give me a nice "sweep" from one side to the other.
- I also need to work out what to do with the chassis cut out sections.

Here are the cut outs in action, although the angle of the first photo doesn't help.
( The red dashes actually line up with the masking tape mark on the chassis. )

The good news is that they do their job and allow the bonnet to open without hitting the chassis.

So once today's bonnet healing work had set, I can remove the bonnet and start on the lower valance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The final job of the day was to add some extra protection from the weather to the bonnet.

As my tarpaulin only covers this much and will simply direct the rain into today's fibreglass work.
( The car cover that goes over the top is really for decoration, as it is so porous. )

As the forecast is for a pretty wild night.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Overall, it is clearly complete madness to be building a car outside at this time of year.

However, I did manage to take a couple of decent strides forward, so it was well worth it.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Yesterday's Storm:
If I thought my "workshop" got a hammering, apparently there was a mini tornado in Harrow.

This is the damage it caused to a garage that is less than two miles from here!