View Single Post
Old 15th January 2015, 15:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Bonnet Work - Part 2:
I left the first round of fibreglass to set for a while before returning to the bonnet.

Then I turned it over, making sure there was no weight on the lower valance.

I then countersunk the remaining screw holes, & roughed up all the fibreglass & gel coat around the join.

Unfortunately, just as I had finished that work I felt a drop of rain.

So I quickly protected the fresh fibreglass work.

Before covering the rest of the bonnet & retreating back inside.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once the rain clouds were gone I headed back out, just in time to see this flying overhead.

Then I mixed up some fibreglass filler & made a start.

While that was setting I propped the bonnet up so I could get access to remove the lower valance brackets.

Then I crawled inside the bonnet to grind the area around the back of the screw holes.

This was quite a tight space to work in, but I got a round of fibreglass matting over the screw holes.

I also put an extra strip along the length of the join while I was at it.

I left that to start setting before eventually coming back out for the final job of the day.

Which was to sand back the filler.

I've left it a bit rough between the headlight and the nose cone, as I need to build this area up a bit more.
( I wanted to get the headlight area sorted out first, then I can bring the nose out to meet it. )

There is a definite dip between the bonnet and the wing.

Although, obviously, this dip is definitely not a mirror image of the other side.

But I'll be happy as long as I can set a smooth transition across the repaired area.

It was too late to start any more work, so I packed up and called it a day.

So until next time, take care, Paul.