View Single Post
Old 27th January 2015, 11:49

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Thurcroft Flyer - Thanks, are there any update/news from your own build?
As it was flying along last year, which I re-read when I took a copy of your bonnet photo.

ufo17 - Cheers, next on the list is re-enforcing the lower valance (see below).

Mr T Thanks, I found the work you did on your dash a great example of what can be achieved.
Because your "After" photo looked so good compared to the "cut & shut" "Before" photo.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Restricted Play Time:
There was a bit of leg pulling recently on Scottie's build thread about making progress in the Winter.

So I went back and checked what I have managed to achieve since Christmas:
- Finished the hinges to give me a fully tilting bonnet
- Started the re-profiling and extension work at the rear edge of the bonnet
- Repositioned and reattached the driver' wing to the rest of the bonnet
- Sorted out mounting points for the front indicators
- Re-profiled the edge around the grille opening in the bonnet nose

I must confess that even I have been amazed at just how much I've managed to achieve in a month.

However, great progress on the car often means poor progress in other areas and this is no exception.

So I will be on restricted car duties for a little while until I can catch up with other stuff.

But that is OK, as I have to balance the car with my family and there isn't a real finish date target.
( As I just have to accept that it will take as long as it needs, but will be done eventually. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So today I limited myself to a single small task, beefing up parts of the lower valance edge.
( As it is already quite thick / stiff where the original section was reattached & the bottom edge extended. )

I started by cleaning up the surfaces.

Before I put a number of layers of fibreglass matting in place.

I will come back and tidy the matting currently overhanging the lower edge another day.

My "something is better than nothing" philosophy means that is still another small step in the right direction.

Well, I'd better go and do some other stuff.

So until next time, take care, Paul.