View Single Post
Old 24th February 2015, 20:56

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

It's been a long and very mixed day today, Started out fixing the radiator in position, then the drill slipped and went through the core. I won't go into the details but I was very cross.

When I had calmed down and taken the rad back out, I spent the rest of the morning finding the minute hole in the rad, I had to cut one of the tubes out to get to the second row. It was only a tiny pinhole but it sure leaked a lot of water. Eventually I soldered it up and soldered the side plate back on, that caused another leak... When I had it water tight at about 1:30 (pm) I stopped for lunch.

This afternoon I piped the rad back up to the engine and filled it with water again... All seemed OK until I noticed the valley gasket starting to pool water. The thermostat gasket was leaking??? Why? Turned out the thermostat had dropped between the gasket and the housing, simple remedy that one!

Since then I have been installing the front brake pipe and securing it with 'P' clips, I need to get some more small ones... I clipped up the front of the fuel pipe and put a small flare OP1 on the end to help seal the rubber pipe and make it more secure, I know it's not high pressure but it is important it doesn't leak.

This evening I fitted the gearbox remote. I needed four rubber spacer/anti vibration washers to fit the remote, the originals had all perished away. I have been wondering where and how to obtain some, Rimmers don't list them although they say they have all the parts, they probably do have them but I think of the cost of four rubber washers probably being about £10 delivered, surely I could make or adapt something? I have a sheet of thick rubber, about 12mm thick and plenty big enough. It was exactly the right thickness, so I drilled a hole through a small chunk and sandwiched it between two large washers and used the angle grinder to make the rubber round, then I used the Dremel to slit the rubber in half to form two washers. It worked like a charm, I repeated the process and had my four washers to mount the remote.

I paid £5 for the off-cut of rubber, I made four front tie rod bushes, an anti Vibration mount for the fuel pumps and now I have made these washers. A good buy by any standards.

I have had enough excitement for one day, off to bed... Unfortunately no pix today, been far too busy.

Oh, another thing, I forgot to mention, I passed the 80% complete mile post. It's actually 82.62% complete right now. (Assuming the rad doesn't spring another leak...)

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 24th February 2015 at 21:05.. Reason: 80% and typos, actually auto corrections which were wrong...