View Single Post
Old 25th February 2015, 22:27

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that suggestion Peter, I will take a look when I go to town.

You may be able to help with my next question too. I am starting to think about my grill. Probably Paul L's adventures have rubbed off on me. As part of the 'package' when I collected the Berlinetta, came a little pack of kinky wires, 45 of them I think, each wire has 20 kinks at 19mm centres.

This is for my grill. Stupidly I assumed the wires were stainless but no, they are 2.4mm aluminium welding rods, with kinks. I like the light weight aspect but have a feeling it's going to corrode like crazy and be pretty fragile. Stainless would have been much better, not sure I feel like forming 500 kinks in stainless welding rods. Perhaps a job for Michael... I suppose they could be anodised?

My question is what material is the frame, I am assuming it's aluminium, but what thickness and width? I am guessing it's 2mm thick but I could be wrong it may be 3mm? The width has to be the depth of the aperture plus 5mm plus 2mm. According to the assembly manual the surround is supposed to protrude 2mm to the front of the cowl and have 5mm behind, inside. I guess what I don't know is the thickness of the metal.

I had a bit better day today, at least I didn't drill any more holes in the rad... :roll eyes: I finished up mounting the rad and the front cowl/nose cone. I had a problem with access there and ended up welding bolts into strips of steel which will be glued into the rad cowl which is fibreglass. Otherwise there was no way of attaching the cowl to the chassis.

The fan belt I ordered is too short and too thick, so it's back to the drawing board on that. At least I know what it isn't! LOL

I connected the fuel line to the engine, failed to get any ignition HT leads, the originals are shot. Will try again tomorrow but it's looking bleak for starting the engine this weekend without the leads. Everything else is falling into place, I am adapting the old Cortina accelerate pedal to mount inside the car, I never understood why it was in an ugly fibreglass compartment under the bonnet. Difficult to think of a more complicated, lousy solution? I can't find the accelerator cable, it may have been junk and been disposed of together with a lot of other rubbish items from the car.

Just had a hunch, been up in the loft and found two really nice smooth brand new Shimao bike gear cables, nicely long enough and with the correct ends! Great result! :-)

Well once again the excitement of the day has made me very tired, I will hit the Z's before I fall asleep on the keyboard.