View Single Post
Old 26th February 2015, 08:10

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

I have to admit I hadn't thought of heating oil, I had discounted diesel (gas oil) because of the smell, we have plenty of farmers around here, I know several who would let me have some if I wanted.

I only know of one place which has oil fired heating and that's an old folks home about 30 miles away, they have a 3,000 gallon tank! But I doubt I could have any from them... Heating oil is rarer than hens teeth around here, most people have converted to gas, either mains or a tank. I haven't seen a heating oil delivery tanker for years. (Probably see three today!!! LOL)

Completely off topic, I had an expensive experience with heating oil, I ran a site tipper truck and had been given a couple of hundred gallons of heating oil, so I put some in the truck. I needed to move it to another site, so early one Sunday morning I set off on the road to take it about a mile to this other site. The truck engine stopped on a bridge probably because of the heating oil... Next thing plod comes around the corner, "ey up, what's all this then?" I got done for thirteen road traffic offences inc. no insurance. I got an endorsement and a fine of £43 for my experience, that was quite a lot in 1973.

Today I am going to finish the accelerator pedal, connect it to the engine and start planning the exhaust system. I am planning to use two similar production exhausts from say a 1700 petrol Astra and adapt them to the Marlin chassis by cutting and shutting. The Rover down pipes get me to the back of the gearbox, so if I can find a pair of suitable systems to chop up, I will be well pleased. A visit to one of my local breakers seems imminent.