View Single Post
Old 25th April 2015, 08:03

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

In particular, I am convinced the headlights will need to minor "cut & shut" work to point in the right direction.
( But this is something I can't really test properly myself. )
It's very easy to check the headlamp alignment Paul.

All you need is a white board about two feet by three, a black marker and some chalk or string. It's probably even more accurate than the MOT beam aligner although slower of course!

If you shine the DIP beam against the white board it should project an arrow pattern, if it lacks a distinct arrow pattern the reflector or lens is stuffed, should fail.

With the car sat on flat ground, with a chalk line in front of and centred on the car, place the white board on the ground and in front of the headlamp and mark the horizontal and angle lines of the beam pattern on the board with your marker pen. Then move the white board further away from the headlamp at the same distance from the cars centreline and check that the beam arrow pattern is still in exactly the same place. Repeat for the other side, job done. The beam pattern can be a little lower than horizontal but not higher, nor may it be pointing to the right. You need to move the board at least cars length away to get a reasonable check but with care you will get a good idea of how well the lamps are aligned at very little cost.

I normally drive up to a white wall, note the location of the beam then reverse away a cars length, adjusting as required so the beam stays in the same place, I have never had an issue with beam alignment at MOT time.

I realise you have limited space and a crooked paved drive to contend with but I would have thought it could be done, at least to check if it's reasonably within limits.

A couple of washers and a little filler could be all that's needed to get them pointed in the right direction.