View Single Post
Old 5th May 2016, 11:32
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F View Post
I saw it at Stoneleigh and it looked a very pleasing shape.

However (and as if I know anything) I wonder about the wisdom of selling a kit that makes use of the Spit main body tub. I traded up to my Miglia to avoid all the rust problems, and it is the sills etc that are the problem area.

So genuinely curious. I know it will make it seem an easier build, but it seems to be building in a lot of future rust.
This car is built using the Spitfire body tub to make for a easier and quicker build unlike the previous Sammio range, and I include the Miglia in that range, that are quite a demanding build in terms of time, expense, skill and ability.

If the body tub is repaired and sealed correctly (easy to do when it's stripped down) there will be no issues with rust.
The "trouble some" sills end up being covered by the body tub so no exposure the elements unlike the out-riggers on the Herald/Miglia build.
If the builder wants they could even cover the whole exposed areas in fiberglass.
The Herald chassis has a reputation for the out-rigger to rust out in the same way. But again, if these are repaired and sealed correctly there will be no issues with rust but unlike this car the Herald problem areas are still exposed to the elements after the build is completed.
If "future rust" was an issue to be considered then this build has it covered, literally!!!

Stoneleigh 2016.

After much effort the Alpha made it to the show and although it had a crappy paint job it didn't look out-of-place among the other kit and it was the cheapest in the show.

The sun was out today so was the car.

The car looks very "retro" so I have been playing with wheel spats.

Not to everyone's taste but if the car was in the right colour and the right trim they would not look out of place.