View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 10:01

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAmericanChap View Post
Mister T - and do please call me, "Joe" (of course, it's not my real name - my real name's "Dave" just like everyone else here) - thanks for taking the time and for the advice. We've not yet settled on anything other than the Sammio Spyder body style, and Chris and I do chat by telephone from time to time, so working things out - assuming he continues to be foolish enough to keep nodding his assent - shouldn't be too awfully difficult. Hopefully he'll look in on this thread and make the appropriate noises.

As to the regulations here, cars registered - as long as they incorporate original build plates - are what their build plates claim, so the Sammio will be titled as a 1954 Lancia, which exempts it from seatbelts, emission control standards, and nearly every other modern-day American autofoolery. They need brakes and lights, and front steering which seems not about to let loose, but beyond that, one's pretty much free to do as one likes.

I currently own Randy Corson's Corson 512(Bbi) clone, and we've done quite a bit of structural reinforcing to that as well. The Pontiac Fiero chassis was designed and built by the same folks who made the Herald - the only difference being that when they designed that old Triumph they were still sober. Decent enough for the GM 2.8 litre V6, but quite unhappy about having a 5 litre flat twelve jammed into that little hole - and thereafter seeming to have a frame made from an India eraser. Nursing it back to inflexibility could have had a thread of its own here, but that's all welding rod under the bridge now.

Chris - I know you're reading this, and I know you often complain that you're bored, and have far too much extra time on your hands. Give us your thoughts.

Joe

I assume you mean "rubber" when you say india eraser !