View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:01

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

At risk of another thread hijack, the difference in finish immediately after paint between 2 pack and cellulose is almost certainly down to the type of paint. 2 pack is shiny straight out of the gun and just needs lacquer to finish I am led to believe. Cellulose has to be flatted back and polished as it has a slightly matt finish out of the gun, even a professional one.

From my research prior to choosing a paint system, 2 pack is much harder wearing and far more fade resistant, but flaws in the spraying and damage after painting is much harder (impossible?) to fix once it's cured. It's also highly toxic and can't be passively filtered out - you must have a pressurised air supply mask to spray 2 pack or you'll quite possibly die (on a separate matter I did some research about young drivers involved in fatal collisions a few years back so had access to the ONS figures for all recorded deaths by age, gender and cause. In 2012 three people were killed by their dishwashers after slipping and falling onto forks in the cutlery rack, but almost two hundred people died from unintentional inhalation of toxic paint fumes).

With cellulose you can sand out runs and flaws and it's (apparently) quite easy to blend in new paint with old after repairs or alterations (I'll be attempting just that in a week or so), but it's easier to chip or scratch and needs regular cutting and/or polishing to keep it looking good throughout its life.

My decision to go with cellulose was quite an easy one to make as I could spray it myself at home, I anticipated that there may be settling cracks in the body that would need attention later (I've only had the one, but I have made some mods recently that'll need blending in), and the finish matches that on racing cars from the period my car appears to be from because 2 pack hadn't been invented then. If you don't believe that just go to the pits at Goodwood Revival and take a look at some of the blow-over paint jobs that those old racers have.

As for Tributes being more expensive kits than Sammio's were, hence the difference in opinions expressed, that's true to a certain extent, but Tribute also make budget kits like the A352, D Type and Mistral, all of which are much closer to the price and ethos of the original Sammio Spyder, and Scottie has admirably shown what can be achieved on a budget build with a Tribute kit.

Best of luck finding the right paint for your own car JagTvr, and I'm looking forward to seeing Barber's contemporary take on the Coupe come together too.

Oh, and if I'm thinking of the right pic regarding the bandana, it was actually a backwards facing flat cap in best boy-band stylee.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 22nd May 2016 at 09:03..