View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Can't see the wood for the trees:
Mister Towed was working on his rear valance yesterday and posted this photo.

What struck me was how much higher his rear end looked compared to the photo of my rear end that I also posted yesterday.
( I know the angles of the photos are different. )

But Mr T was kind enough to measure the gap between the body shell and the ground and this is 30 cm in the middle.
( Psycho Pops measured his as being approx. 23cm, with the original Herald wheels fitted. )

Well, this morning I measured the same gap on mine (between the tail pipes) and it is just over 18cm.

Now I have spend a lot of time looking through Mr T's threads and studying photos of his car.

But normally I am looking at a specific area to compare it to the area of my car I am currently working on, or thinking about.

So this great photo of his car next to the 911 was both an inspiration and a guide to the way the rear end sweeps in behind the rear wheels.
( Whereas, my Frankenstein Hillbilly approach has left me with a much 'wider than standard' rear end with less sweep. )

I've also looked at where the side of his body shell sits relative to the centre of the wheels.
( This is a recent photo of when his car was up on a ramp for some welding repairs. )

And here is a photo of my car as I tried to get my body shell to sit is a similar position after the surgery.

However, I don't think I really noticed the differences in height between the sides and rear of the body shell.

Which are clearly as plain as day (when you finally notice it ), like in this photo from Cadwell.

So now if you compare that to this photo of my car.

You can see the bottom edge of the body shell appears to be in a similar position relative to the wheel centres.

But my rear arch extends much further around the wheel, leading to a lower rear valance too.

I also took this photo earlier today, but remember that the driveway is tilting the passenger side body shell away from the ground.

The final difference comes from the fact that I have 13" wheels fitted, compared to Mr T's 14" ones.

So it is no wonder my car is much lower at the back compared to his.