View Single Post
Old 27th September 2016, 15:45

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Prepare for some boot envy!
225/75x15 tyre in the boot with room to spare, it would not have fitted in the standard boot. So now if I get a puncture at least I can carry the full size wheel home.

I also fitted an emergency release cable for the drivers door, sorry but didn't take the first couple of pictures. Basically I have fitted a long 6 foot bicycle inner and outer brake cable. On the inner wire I crimped a round electrical connector. This was threaded through the door and down oner the door locking button. As you go down the door locking button there is a bend and this is where I positioned it so when the wire is pulled it pulls the locking pin upwards. To stop the wire ring from simply moving I fitted a star clip on the wire behind it (the type of clip used to hold badges to the inside of metal panels).

The outer cable has been zip tied to the inner door and through a new hole and run just under the old ridge that used to hold the old lower wing.

This is then run to a top secret location, I would tell you where it ends, but then I would have to kill you!
It all sits well hidden and a strong pull of the loop at the end and you can release the door lock. Even if someone were to find it, as soon as you pull the cable and open the door the alarm goes off.

Final job today was to fit the front cooling fan. It has three wire going to it, earth and I suspect one for cooling if the engine gets too hot and one for the aircon. I have fitted it but it won't turn on. The zircon compressor clutch doesn't kick in, I have checked the fuses and relay so I suspect it has no gas. I ran the car up to temperature with the viscous fan jammed to see if I could get the other fan to cut in. Even after 30 minutes the temperature gauge wouldn't rise above half way of the second fan didn't cut in.

To mount the fan I had to cut away the cowling and use the arms to bolt to a couple of metal bars, these were then zip tied to the front panel.
I still had to cut a small section of the bonnet away to get it to fit but the cut will be covered by the front number plate.
Finally cut a metal plate to fit the boot lock. I took other peoples advice and fitted it lower so the catch wouldn't foul the boot when opening. Because of this the catch has to be longer. I drilled a hole and then used a very small file to make it square so that it would fit the spindle of the boot catch. I drilled into the boot spindle so that I could screw in s hex head self tapper, this along with a couple of washers holds the catch in place.