View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2007, 07:38
Enthusiast

RobDorey is on a distinguished road

One thing I'd like to see is an upgrade in basic quality control.
The fuel tank leaked and had to be re-welded (pressure testing isn't rocket science), the gear stick & hand brake gaiter was probably made by a one armed man with his good arm tied behind his back and had to be remade, the dashboard and door combing weren't worth the wait and had to be stripped and remade (the backing metal is too thin and flimsy and the door combings are of two different lengths).
The bottom shock mount (E36 type) had to be cut off because it was positioned too low and the suspension arm stopped the bolt from through. And even if you could get the bolt in, the nut without a washer would have had to be 5mm thick to squeeze in the gap between the suspension arm and shock mount. I made a new mount and had to weld it on the top destroying the powder coat in the process.
Also, I think that a basic list should be produced of nuts, bolts, etc, instead of the bags of fittings supplied. There was a lot of fixings either missing, too short or of bad quality, etc. You have to buy a lot more of your own fixings anyway, so you would be better off supplying your own.
The door hinges, front of the doors and 'A' post need strengthening so the doors don't wobble about when open.
All of the aluminium panels could do with being a little thicker.

I don't expect a 'bolt together straight out of the box' type of kit, but its frustrating to have to remake some of the parts because they just don't work.