View Single Post
Old 28th May 2017, 06:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jag – Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

To save time, I will try to pick up some panel wipe locally and use that instead of the white spirit going forward.

One my ‘challenges’ is that the surface I am painting really is ’Frankenstein Hillbilly’ in places.

So the etch primer is covering:
- Original gel coat
- Raw fibreglass
- Fibreglass filler
- Normal body filler

The paint supplier’s advice was a base layer of etch primer was the best way to tie all these surfaces together.

The good news (as I desperately try to see the glass as half full ) is that I am only suffering ‘spot’ reactions.

Which suggests the primer/paint products are compatible and it was my haste in not waiting long enough from cleaning to painting that caused the problem.

There are lots of flaws associated with the mixed approach I took to preparing the lid.
( As this was a test piece to see which marks showed up and which disappeared. )

My hopeless painting technique resulted in more problems.

But the ‘truck coat’ paint itself really does ‘self level’ nicely when applied properly.

As some parts of the lid really do look good and I didn’t even use the “2nd brush” technique to smooth out the brush strokes.

So, with a bit of luck, I will be able to do a better job all round when I tackle the ‘sunny side’ of the car.

My plans for today include some domestic/gardening chores, so I might just take a break from car work.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
I hope you all saw the ‘Old meets new’ photo shoot on Andy/ericholm’s Tribute 250 SWB build.