Thread: Sportster Seats
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2014, 22:09

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Morning all,

If the seat belt is fixed to the seat as in production cars it makes perfect sense but not if it's only attached to the chassis.
Hi Ian,

I laboured with that one for a while too and came to the conclusion, like you, that it's the seat belt / harness secured to the chassis that holds the seat and occupant in place in the case of the unthinkable.

The only reason the seat needs to be secured is to stop it moving backwards under hard breaking (or hard acceleration!!) when your legs / feet are applying pressure to the pedals. Maybe its a bit more than that!! But I don't think the loads on the mountings are significant if you have chassis mounted seat belts

I riveted a piece of galvanised right angle steel to the underside of the floors and into the chassis supporting lips and put my front seat bolts through that, and that was simply to reduce any perceived flex in the floor panels. For the rear bolts I bolted straight through the floor with M8s and penny washers with no galvanised section as the bolts were close to the rear supporting chassis lip.

The IVA man seemed happy, having already checked the chassis seat belt mounts.

Nigel