View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2015, 19:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default The beginning of the end....

...or is it the end of the beginning?

Whatever, it's time to finish stripping down my donor car for the engine and ancillaries for my Royale Sabre build.
I thought it best to start underneath the car so raised it on axle stands and ran the engine for the last time to warm it up before draining the oil. I also disconnected and removed the battery for safety.

e36 Donor Strip down by marlinpeter, on Flickr

After dosing all the exhaust mounting nuts with penetrating oil spray I stopped for lunch while the oil did its stuff. Upon return I moved underneath the car and removed the entire exhaust system in one piece. The usual arguments with a load of rusty nuts but no major dramas.
I'm not yet sure if I will use this exhaust system (suitably shortened) on the Sabre but it is in good condition and has some interesting features.

e36 Donor Exhaust system by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Cat heat shields in good nick but a bit loose so will need to be re-fixed if this system is used.

Strange device at the back which is a Vibration Absorber according to realoem

Back box has two routes to the tailpipes. One is only opened by a neat little flap controlled by vacuum from the inlet manifold and the ECU above 2500rpm. I believe it is to make the car quieter at low rpm.

I then made a start on removing the propshaft but ran out of light (and heat!!) so that's all for now but hopefully updates will be more frequent this year

....peter