View Single Post
Old 21st August 2014, 18:12
Kit Car Dreamer

GJGB is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Rack Brackets Mod

Seems the original position of the steering rack mounting brackets (angled 30 degrees upward) gives the knuckle in the steering column an excessive angulation. As I understand it, these UJ's are supposed to operate at no more than 15 degrees and the action is very "notchy" with too much angle.

So Chris / Norman have decided the fixing brackets should be vertical (not angled upwards) so the pinion is more horizontal so reducing the angulation in the column knuckle. There's a drawing for this mod.

I've taken the angle grinder to mine and there are a couple of points worth noting.

First, the mounting holes for the rack will move downward by 1.1 cm or thereabouts by just bending the existing mounting tabs downward to the vertical thus putting the rack way too low vs-a-vs the hubs. I decided to cut the tabs off the chassis, shorten by the 1.1 cm and reweld.

Second problem, the nearside bracket now has the rack mounting hole directly in line with the diagonal bracing tube in the chassis !!! Grrr... !! There's just about space to get a nyloc nut between the mounting plate and the chassis brace but it's bl**dy tight and I reckon I'll struggle to show two clear threads of the bolt through the nut. I might have to go to two thin nuts and lock them against each other.

Anybody else attacked their rack mounts?

Best
Greg
Available from eBay