Thread: 250 swb build
View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2016, 09:26

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

What did you do in the afternoon?

Looking mighty fine, great gaps, they do seem to be one of the main make or break details. It looks as if you have built up the trailing edge of the bonnet to get the gap correct, I can't work out how you managed it. With my doors the new skin touched the edge of the bonnet all the way so that the door could not be opened fully. The only way I could work out to do it way to take material away from wing to allow the door to open but you have gone about it in the opposite way.

One point to watch out for is the bonnet hinge. I carefully made sure that my new profile on the door had plenty of clearance which it did. But I noticed I was getting a small chip on the edge. What I hadn't realised is that the hinge moves when the bonnet is closed,The door edge was pressing against it when fully open but the hinge has flex in it so I didn't notice it.
I had noticed on the DNA 2fifty video that they have small plates fitted to the inside of the check strap. I fitted 5mm plates and now the door doesn't hit the hinge.

Are you going to be painting the underside of the bonnet? They do to me look a little unfinished if not painted but I would hate to think how much prep work would be needed. As always I have a cunning bodge planned. I have sent away a sample of the paint I am intending to use and had 2.5 kilos of flow coat made to the nearest colour match they can get. I intend to coat the underneath of the bonnets and boot lid, It won't be anywhere as nice as paint but I think it will look much better than plain GRP. Just working on my bonnet and boot gaps, I'm aiming for 2mm all round.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 2nd October 2016 at 10:01..